A collection of thoughts about incentives:
- Parkinson’s Law: Work expands to fill the time available.
- What gets measured gets managed.
- Goodhart’s Law: When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
- Society is good at training talent but terrible at cultivating genius. Talent is predictable, genius is unpredictable.
- People tend to focus on easy-to-understand ideas at the expense of important but hard to talk about ideas.
- An idea will gain traction once it enters the mainstream, not because it’s true but because it’s popular.